It's been a while since my last blog post, sorry about that. I'll start showing some more stuff on here.
So... Transcendence. The art print that has been in the works for a few months. (Available in the store btw.) This project has been in the works for so long because I didn't think my level of skill was high enough to come close to what I saw in my head.
The thing that really pushed me to actually get started and ignore the self doubt was watching Insterstellar. That movie is freaking amazing, but also filled my head with tons of inspiration.
The first chance I got in between client projects I just threw myself into this illustration and I just kept going untill it was 'done' (Because nothing is ever really done.)
This case study is my attempt to capture the process of making "Transcendence". So feel free to experience my journey by putting on some soothing ambient music and looking at the pictures.
Thanks for reading!
PS: "Transcendence" is now available as a limited edition art print in my store.
I was recently approached by Iam8bit to be part of a gallery show.
The premise of the show was to create a poster for a fictional sequel of a movie you love.
The deadline was really tight, I had about a week to complete the entire piece. But the concept was just too fascinating to pass up. Seeing as I only had a week do create this doodle I had to get started without alot of forethought. (and we all know illustrators love thinking about a project for months before they do it.)
For some reason I couldn't shake the itch of doing something for a Disney movie. As I started looking into my favourite Disney films, I quickly discovered that "Up" was the one that resonated with me the most for personal reasons.
No time to waste, so I got started! I came to the conclusion that I couldn't really illustrate a poster in my signature look. It just wouldn't give it the real Disney/Pixar touch. This was a though decision to make because of the tight deadline. But there's never a great time to learn new styles.
This was the first sketch I made. I figured the concept was good enough to get started. If I started illustrating the house I could still pretty much go anywhere with the surroundings.
So on to illustrating said house!
I really struggled with this part because I usually always have pretty solid outlines, but didn't want any in this illustration. Not realizing this at the start I just illustrated it with the outlines.
Halfway through Illustrating the house I realized I wanted a different feeling from the poster. I thought putting the house underground would make the colours too heavy and would give it a claustrophibic feeling. But we're not there yet. On to colouring and shading!
So there's that!
Now I could start focussing on the surroundings of the house. I figured I wanted it to appear above ground in some type of DIY scaffolding. I also wanted to tease the underground part by showing different layers of dirt.
I pretty much had the entire illustration done around this point. Just decided to start texturing, do some touch ups, add some clouds and focus on the type to finish the piece.
And here it is!
Hope you enjoyed this post because I enjoy typing stuff like this!
Hey guys, welcome to my first blog post.
I hope you enjoy it.
I recently became self-employed full time and decided it was time the redesign my branding. Part of my motivation behind this was to be more accessible to bigger clients and a wider variety of illustration/design work. (I got kind of bored of always drawing chaotic stuff and wanted to be taken more seriously.)
After reading another brilliant article by Brent Galloway I realised people would only take me serious if I took my business to a more professional level. Hence the rebranding of Arno Kiss.
As you can clearly see my first logo wasn't that great. I don't even have a high-res version anymore.
This was a classic case of "I just learned a few new things let's combine all of them." (Which is almost never a good idea.)
After looking at a bajillion examples of other logos I figured out what direction I wanted to take.
I started by making some sort of "grid".
I knew i wanted to make something slanted. The reason behind this is that I like stuff that's angled. No idea why.
I tried basing it off of existing fonts, but I figured since I'm taking my business seriously, I should just construct it myself. Thankfully I had a lettering class in school. I cursed it so many times but it finally came in handy.
As you can probably tell most of the lines serve no purpose whatsoever but everything I make starts out very messy and then I just clean it up in the process. As long as I can still see what I'm making I'm cool with it.
Once I got the "a" down I just used the same lines to construct the "k". Not much to say about it since that was the easiest part. So I think it's about time to show you the finished logo.
So this is my new logo. I added the coloured drop shadow because 1, I liked it. And 2, I figured it would be a good way to incorporate my logo into projects with different color schemes. (Blue design gets blue shadow, red design gets red shadow, etc...).
So there you have it.
Feel free to leave some comments or show me your logo in the comments!
Thank you for reading this post.